why do so many anti-sj people think that the goal of social movements is to eradicate hate?
hate is not the problem. hate, despite what Gandhi says, can even be cathartic when you finally aim it at your oppressors instead of yourself.
hate wasn’t even the beginning of the problem. we didn’t enslave and murder POC because of hate or anger. we did it out of a desire for power and a basic disrespect for their humanity. when you look at pictures of white townspeople attending a lynching, you don’t see hate in their faces. you see mild amusement.
you don’t need hate as a motivator for evil when there are no consequences for hurting people who aren’t like you. all you need is minor inconvenience and a faulty conscience.
additionally, the idea that hate is the stem of all the violence and inequality in the world is really messed up because it implies that the oppressed did something to make people hate them rather than them just being the victims of a power system that exclusively favored straight white cis men.
it also lets people get away with the idea that just because they aren’t filled with rage every time they see something different, they can’t be part of the problem, because that’s how they interpret the rhetoric of “wiping out hate”.
hate is not the issue here. that’s a misleading kindergarten version of the struggle. the issue is unequal power structures that stay alive just through inertia and indifference that will steamroll over people no matter whether your hearts are filled with love or hate.
- artificialweight reblogged this from adventuresofcesium
- brattyxicana likes this
- lordtrash likes this
- beyoncefart reblogged this from adventuresofcesium
- louishisoneandonly reblogged this from adventuresofcesium
- babyhaimyours likes this
- daddymarjr likes this
- socl101 reblogged this from adventuresofcesium
- dunkindognuts reblogged this from cravemymcnuggies
- honeysweetiepie reblogged this from cravemymcnuggies
- honeysweetiepie likes this
- theheirofthrones likes this
- currentlydeveloping reblogged this from wilsonnthesassycat
- adventure-and-drawings likes this
- magicalgirlsofficial reblogged this from cravemymcnuggies
- hellabunchesofoates likes this
- hellabunchesofoates reblogged this from cravemymcnuggies
- kingmycroftholmes likes this
- daniellesbutt reblogged this from wilsonnthesassycat
- cravemymcnuggies reblogged this from wilsonnthesassycat
- cravemymcnuggies likes this
- wilsonnthesassycat reblogged this from mylittlenutmeg
- vaprwave reblogged this from strawberreli
- whisk-to-the-neck likes this
- sivol reblogged this from ihatecispeoplebecause
- the-sunflower-in-the-rain reblogged this from ihatecispeoplebecause
- death-comes-with-the-territory likes this
- darrynmicheal reblogged this from adventuresofcesium
- svbspacebaggage likes this
- mizunoamii reblogged this from brucethegirl
- iwillscreamuntilearsbleed reblogged this from adventuresofcesium
- iwillscreamuntilearsbleed likes this
- thedetectiveisin reblogged this from missmaplesleaves
- missmaplesleaves reblogged this from nohetero
- giraffer likes this
- neepolonius reblogged this from anafieldelaunay
- kyriefortune likes this
- lifeasa-fatgirl reblogged this from a-little-bi-furious
- scrotey reblogged this from nerdfaceangst
- when-the-gods-were-in-love reblogged this from speakerinnabeaker
- gentaroukisaragi likes this
- speakerinnabeaker reblogged this from variousawesomereblogs
- overlord-aliterasu reblogged this from mitsumurata
- seitan-is-god likes this
- queergremlin likes this
- angels-fuck-devils-kiss likes this
- leahpleah reblogged this from lifeasa-fatgirl
- leahpleah likes this