why do so many anti-sj people think that the goal of social movements is to eradicate hate?
hate is not the problem. hate, despite what Gandhi says, can even be cathartic when you finally aim it at your oppressors instead of yourself.
hate wasn’t even the beginning of the problem. we didn’t enslave and murder POC because of hate or anger. we did it out of a desire for power and a basic disrespect for their humanity. when you look at pictures of white townspeople attending a lynching, you don’t see hate in their faces. you see mild amusement.
you don’t need hate as a motivator for evil when there are no consequences for hurting people who aren’t like you. all you need is minor inconvenience and a faulty conscience.
additionally, the idea that hate is the stem of all the violence and inequality in the world is really messed up because it implies that the oppressed did something to make people hate them rather than them just being the victims of a power system that exclusively favored straight white cis men.
it also lets people get away with the idea that just because they aren’t filled with rage every time they see something different, they can’t be part of the problem, because that’s how they interpret the rhetoric of “wiping out hate”.
hate is not the issue here. that’s a misleading kindergarten version of the struggle. the issue is unequal power structures that stay alive just through inertia and indifference that will steamroll over people no matter whether your hearts are filled with love or hate.
- awfffsome reblogged this from kinglers
- awfffsome likes this
- grahamsdemons reblogged this from kinglers
- grahamsdemons likes this
- tessella-hearts reblogged this from theladymonsters
- am-i-a-bella reblogged this from sempiterna
- lancrebitch likes this
- haveyouevercriedwolf likes this
- salandered likes this
- clitoriste reblogged this from sempiterna
- sempiterna reblogged this from kinglers
- kinkypixie likes this
- tallporcupine reblogged this from envirosuit
- tallporcupine likes this
- bitemehardersir likes this
- switchylittlegirl reblogged this from sufferingsappho
- nerdestnerdfighter reblogged this from kinglers
- kawaiiprincessmichy reblogged this from captoring
- pena-moonie reblogged this from angrybisexualcesium
- choko-sama likes this
- lilllers reblogged this from kinglers
- yowzashezza likes this
- tenjos likes this
- theocraticjello likes this
- hellchilde reblogged this from sufferingsappho
- elteni reblogged this from angrybisexualcesium
- shendanni likes this
- grey-sweatshirt reblogged this from yourfriendlycomrade
- yourfriendlycomrade reblogged this from majijn
- lilllers likes this
- lunarianhippie reblogged this from motherfuckingsassmaster
- snowgolems reblogged this from ir-abelas
- jiji-is-a-bunny reblogged this from sauntering-vaguely-downwards
- subtle-pen reblogged this from sauntering-vaguely-downwards
- forhonorandbooze likes this
- majijn reblogged this from angrybisexualcesium
- discoginger likes this
- punksailormoon reblogged this from sauntering-vaguely-downwards
- great-exhibition-of-1851 likes this
- starwhal likes this
- nirvana-and-depression reblogged this from sauntering-vaguely-downwards
- nirvana-and-depression likes this
- naanaba likes this
- alwaysrunningoutof-time reblogged this from spitandcoffee
- littlelily-chan reblogged this from sauntering-vaguely-downwards
- aradicaldamewholikestoplaygames likes this
- ir-abelas reblogged this from sauntering-vaguely-downwards
- ir-abelas likes this